About the Award
In 2021, one middle grade or young adult writer will be selected by a panel of judges as the recipient of the 2021 Kate Dopirak Craft and Community Award, which includes the following:
- Full tuition to the 50th Society of Children’s Book Writers and Illustrators (SCBWI) Annual Summer Conference, summer 2021 (exact dates forthcoming), in Los Angeles, CA.
- A 20-minute phone consultation prior to the conference with literary agent Tracey Adams from Adams Literary.
- A 20-minute phone consultation with editor Kelly Delaney of Knopf Books for Young Readers.
Please Note: Award includes conference tuition only. Award does not include travel, meals, accommodations, or optional conference intensives or critiques. The recipient will be responsible for all travel, meals, accommodations, and/or expenses associated with attending the conference.
- Open to SCBWI members with a completed, unpublished middle grade or young adult book manuscript and financial barrier to attending the conference.
- Applicants must be at least 18 years of age.
- A panel of judges will select the winner with the most promising manuscript who’s shown commitment to their craft and writing community.
- Submissions open at 5:00 a.m. PST on September 15, 2020 and close at 8:00 p.m. PST on October 31, 2020.
Visit our How to Apply page for more information and a link to the submission form.