About the Award
One writer of children’s literature will be selected by a panel of judges as the recipient of the Kate Dopirak Craft and Community Award, which includes the following:
- Full tuition to the Society of Children’s Book Writers and Illustrators (SCBWI) Annual Summer Conference.
- A 20-minute phone consultation with a literary agent and/or a 20-minute phone consultation with an editor. In 2024, the winner will receive 20-minute phone consultations with Tracey Adams of Adams Literary and Andrea Welch of Beach Lane Books.
Please Note: Award includes conference tuition only. Award does not include travel, meals, accommodations, or optional conference intensives or critiques. The recipient will be responsible for all travel, meals, accommodations, and/or expenses associated with attending the conference.
One honoree (runner-up) will receive the following:
- A 20-minute phone consultation with literary agent Molly O’Neill of Root Literary.
Application Guidelines for the 2024 Award Year
- Open to SCBWI members with a completed, unpublished picture-book manuscript.
- Applicants must be at least 18 years of age.
- A panel of judges will select the winner with the most promising manuscript.
Submissions will be accepted between 8 a.m. central time Monday, January 15th and 8 p.m. central time Tuesday, February 20th, 2024.
Visit our How to Apply page for more information and a link to the submission form.