About the Award
Submission information for the 2023 award year will be shared in fall 2022.
One writer of children’s literature will be selected by a panel of judges as the recipient of the Kate Dopirak Craft and Community Award, which includes the following:
- Full tuition to the Society of Children’s Book Writers and Illustrators (SCBWI) Annual Summer Conference.
- A 20-minute phone consultation with a literary agent.
- A 20-minute phone consultation with an editor of children’s books.
Please Note: Award includes conference tuition only. Award does not include travel, meals, accommodations, or optional conference intensives or critiques. The recipient will be responsible for all travel, meals, accommodations, and/or expenses associated with attending the conference.
Application Guidelines for the 2022 Award Year
- Open to SCBWI members with a completed, unpublished picture book manuscript.
- Applicants must be at least 18 years of age.
- A panel of judges will select the winner with the most promising manuscript who’s shown commitment to their craft and writing community.
Submissions will be accepted between 5 a.m. PST Friday, January 14th and 8 p.m. PST Friday, February 18th, 2022.
Visit our How to Apply page for more information and a link to the submission form.