"Because of Kate, I learned to see writing struggles as strengths. Taking too long to finish meant you had patience. Rejections meant you had resilience. Doubting your work meant you cared about it. Kate was every writer’s glow stick. No matter what was breaking you, she’d turn it into light."
How to Apply
Submissions will be accepted between 5:00 a.m. PST on September 15, 2020 through 8:00 p.m. PST on October 31, 2020.
Winner will be announced in March 2021.
- Applicants must be members of SCBWI. Sign in and click “My Home” to check your status.
- Applicants must be at least 18 years of age.
- The winner of this award must follow SCBWI’s guidelines and policies while attending the conference.
- Your original, unpublished middle grade or young adult book manuscript should not be under contract at the time of submission. Should your manuscript become contracted, you must contact us and withdraw your submission for this year.
Please follow guidelines exactly. Incomplete or late submissions will not be considered.
- Submit your application and manuscript via this form. Note: you must have a Google account to attach your manuscript to your application.
- Use standard manuscript formatting: black, 12-point Times New Roman font; double spaced with 1-inch margins; page number on the top right; and title on the header of each page.
- Manuscript should be NO MORE THAN 5 pages + a one-page synopsis.
- DO NOT include your name anywhere on the manuscript itself.
- PDFs only.
- Ensure the title of your uploaded manuscript pdf matches the title listed on your application form.
- Limit one entry per person.